Is Iams a Good Dog Food?
For a dog owner, there is nothing more important than the well-being and longevity of their pet. To achieve these goals, dog nutrition demands a special focus. IAMS is a popular dog food brand in the U.S. and often stands above other such brands in the market.
You might have been feeding your dog IAMS for a long time and still be thinking, “Is IAMS a good dog food“? Let’s find an answer to this big question in this article by discussing IAMS’ nutritional value, ingredients, and much more.
Introduction to IAMS:
Since 1946, IAMS has been a big name in the world of pet nutrition. Besides variety, quality, and innovation, this brand goes hand in hand with IAMS formulates dog food in such a way that it can cater to the needs of dogs of all sizes and age groups.
By making a wide range of dry and wet foods, IAMS has become able to meet the nutritional demands of all dog breeds.
Key Nutrients in IAMS Dog Food:
A nutrient profile is the key to detecting the quality of a food. Overall, all IAMS products are a balanced mixture of various nutrients, including proteins, fats, carbs, vitamins, and minerals.
The protein content of dog food mainly comes from animal sources, such as poultry. These protein sources are necessary for the muscles’ development and functioning in dogs.
The fats added are mainly from fish oils and contain omega-3 fatty acids. These are important for a healthy coat and the proper development of your puppy’s brain. Further, the dietary fiber in the carb portion aids in your dog’s digestion.
Though IAMS uses quality ingredients in all its products, some of its formulas might contain cornmeal and by-products. These ingredients are not very good sources of protein but are approved by AAFCO to be used in moderate amounts.
Types of IAMS Dog Food:
You will find a broad spectrum of dog food types at IAMS. This includes all kinds of dry, wet, or specialized formulas to cater to your needs. For instance,
- IAMS Proactive Health is popular in the dry food range.
- IAMS Naturals is specifically based on all-natural ingredients.
- IAMS Veterinary Formula is specialized for specific health conditions in dogs.
- IAMS Healthy Weight is for those concerned about their pet’s weight issues.
IAMS Dog Food Formula Reviews:
To help you choose the best dog food formula for your dog, let’s review some of the most popular IAMS formulas here:
1: IAMS Minichunks:
It is a chicken and whole-grain dry food recipe for adult dogs.
- Rich in lean protein, amino acids, and fatty acids
- Prebiotics in the form of dried beet pulp
- Fortification with carrots
- Calcium for bones
- Chicken by-products have low nutritional value.
2: IAMS Healthy Aging:
It is a dry dog food for large breeds and senior dogs. Following are the pros and cons:
- Good for bones, teeth, and joint health
- Boosts digestive and cognitive health
- Improves immunity
- Farm-raised chicken as a protein source
- Chicken by-products have no significant nutritional value.
3: IAMS Healthy Weight Large Breed:
It is also a chicken-flavored dry dog food best designed to maintain the ideal weight of large-breed dogs.
- Fresh farm chicken is a lean protein source.
- Helps in burning fat and boosting metabolism.
- Comes with nutrient supplementation.
- Carrot and beet pulp are present.
- Helps in healthy weight maintenance, though it’s a low-fat formula.
- Often, they are hard to find in online stores.
4: IAMS Small Breed:
It is a dry food recipe catered to the nutritional requirements of small breed dogs.
- Good for maintaining the health of the skin and coat
- Fortified with vitamin B complex
- Improves digestion, muscle strength, and oral health.
- Contain chicken by-products
How to Convert Your Dog to IAMS Food
If you are planning to convert your dog to IAMS food for the sake of better nutrition, then make your dog familiar with the new food brand gradually. Any sudden change in diet can lead to gastric disturbances.
Therefore, it is recommended to start with a mix of 75% of your dog’s previous food and 25% IAMS. Initially, go for a 7- to 10-day transition to avoid any disturbances. Gradually, keep increasing the IAMS portion until it replaces all of your dog’s existing food.
Are you still thinking, “Is IAMS a good dog food? IAMS has been the trusted choice of many dog parents over the decades due to its reputation in terms of quality and variety. Their specialized formulas can cater to all the nutritional needs of your pet.
To conclude, we can say that IAMS food is worth considerable money if you are looking.
Is IAMS good for puppies?
Is IAMS an affordable choice?
Is IAMS harmful to your dog?
Can My Dog Eat IAMS Daily?